Thursday, July 10, 2008

Back From Vacation

We were in San Diego for the last couple of days, and it seemed like being away from home it was easier to resist the sugar. For one reason, we didn't take any sweets with us. But there were a couple times that I felt a little guilty. My husband, who is being sugar free with me, made me a waffle on Wednesday morning at the hotel breakfast, and seeing as though the other options were cream cheese on bagels or pastries with sugary icing, I ate the waffle with syrup thinking it couldn't be the worst of what was available. (And it was delicious! But I did feel a little guilt from enjoying the sugary syrup.) Then later, at Sea World, we were having a snack break and I had some dried sweetened cranberries. I am really trying to be more conscious of how much sugar is in the things I buy, so when I looked at the label of the cranberry package at the store and saw the ingredients were cranberries and sugar, I had decided not to eat any. But I did have some at Sea World and figured they were a fruit and probably still okay. Well, now back to reality. I have a feeling it is still going to be a struggle again, now that we are back to the regular routine, but we just keep moving on, right? By the way, I just have to say that I am really proud of my husband. He used to eat a bowl of ice cream just about every night, but since going sugar free, he hasn't had any sugar at all. He even turned down an invitation to go out for cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory tonight! He is a great motivator. Thanks, sweetie!

3 comments:

Amy K said...

You're really amazing! I think that vacations are really hard to eat healthy. Sounds like you did really well, and that's awesome about your husband! It's great to have your spouse helping. Way to go!

adrienne said...

I'm also trying to be more conscious of how much sugar is in the things I eat. It really is in everything! I read somewhere that Americans eat an average of three times the daily recommended limit and I'm not surprised!

Kellie said...

Yes, lots of sugar in everything. I just realized how much sugar is in a serving of craisins last night - 26g. So, I decided I can eat a handful, but no more than that at a time. But way to go on the vacation. We are headed home through Colorado this week. We'll be on the road for about 8 days (we are stopping so Trevor can make some work visits) and the total drive time is about 24 hours (I wish it was 15). I wish my husband was on the sugar-free kick. He considered, but then opted out. I guess I will have to come up with some sugar-free road food. The great news is -- only one week left. Then I need to make some new goals! :)